Tuesday, August 16, 2005

A bottle of wine and a great laugh

I hate stopping at the grocery store on the way home from work. I always have and at age 45, I don’t think that is going to change.

I don’t mind doing a full-blown grocery shop, but I hate to have to stop at the grocery store on the way home from work. Usually my sweet husband will do it for me. Since he doesn’t cook and I am a great cook, it’s only fair that he run cooking errands for me.

Unfortunately right now he’s working overtime, so I have to make my own stops on the way home. Ugh!

Leave work, list in hand, drive to store, go in and get all the things on the list. Good, that’s done! Now I can reward myself… a little lingering in the wine department!

I love to try different wines. I love browsing in the wine department. I adore little wine shops and going to wineries. (The picture is of the Sommelier at Mission Hill Winery in British Columbia, a fabulous place to visit!) For me, it’s even more fun to buy wine and see it in my wine rack, bottles full of the promise of something wonderful.

The promise of sunshine feeding my soul with a chilled glass of wine and a good book, sitting on my deck.

The promise of laughter and wonderful conversations with friends in my living room.

The promise of romance and passion when my husband and I have a great meal followed by a dessert wine and superb dark chocolate.

So I lingered in the wine department after I’d dutifully filled my basket with the things on my list. Looking to see what promises lurked there this time. After a lovely chat with the Manager, I picked a bottle and headed toward checkout.

I’m sure the look on my face was priceless when the cashier asked, “May I see your ID?”

“You’re CARDING me? Honey, I’m 45 years old and you’re carding me?” I started laughing in my disbelief.

Apparently she was serious because there I was, 45 years old, proudly showing the very well earned grey in my hair and small wrinkles around my eyes… giving this young lady my ID to prove I was old enough to buy that bottle of wine!

When she told me that my glasses made me look very young, I told her she was my new best friend. Guess I need to call my old best friend and tell her she has been replaced, eh?

My husband and I have had a great chuckle over this… and decided that bottle of wine definitely holds the promise of laughter.

No comments: