Sunday, July 16, 2006

no more hiding

Today’s bruises are even more impressive. Think Greg Kinnear in “As Good As It Gets” after he gets so horribly beaten and you see him in the hospital scene… purple, magenta, blue, red, wine, maroon, and burgundy and…

…yeah, that’s what it looks like now. UG-LEEEEEE!

I realized today that as much as I don’t want to tell my co-workers why I was out sick on Friday; I don’t really have a choice.

  • These bruises come out along my armpit, around my shoulder, down my arm and across my chest. Can’t really hide ‘em all.
  • I’ve got an additional bruise that covers the entire back of my left hand. It’s from where they missed with trying to put in the IV the first time.
  • Swelling… oh, yeah, still swollen and lopsided and looking like I’ve got two different people’s bodies attached to my chest. Sheesh!
  • And, I can’t lift my right arm too high, or anything heavier than a coffee cup in that right hand, without pain… or busting stitches. Guess the research books and stacks of files at work count as heavier and on the “don’t do” list.

So, I guess I’ll have to tell ‘em tomorrow. I really didn’t want to deal with 30+ people asking all those questions about cancer and surgery, etc. I really wanted a place where I had a great distraction from it all… work!

Guess I’ll have to tell ‘em and then tell them that I don’t really want to talk any more about it until I know final pathology reports on Thursday.

Will be interesting to see who listens and respects my wishes… and who doesn’t. I’m pretty sure I already know the answer to that… but it will be interesting nonetheless to see how accurate I am.

It will also be interesting to see if any of this swelling goes down before morning!

3 comments:

Jenna St.Hilaire said...

Wow, good luck with that... I hope work proves to be a good getaway place for you after all. That's so vital to getting through the hard stuff.

Glad to hear the prognosis is good so far! Still praying.

And I love your sense of humor even after surgery. Yesterday's post made me laugh (even through grimacing while imagining what that must feel like)... especially being a barely-B myself :-D

SuziQoregon said...

Calling in "still sick" tomorrow is a very viable option.

I'm just sayin' . . .

auntie-c said...

Jenna - yep, laugh because it is funny in spite of it being painful!

Q - I hear ya... and will pay attention in the morning as to real viability of the day.

love you guys...
~c