This is a quick and easy recipe that goes well with many main courses. A really nice change from rice or potato dishes. Not to mention it doesn't heat up the kitchen too much in summer. Enjoy!
Basil Parmesan Orzo
2 T butter
1 cup uncooked orzo
1 can chicken broth/stock
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (don't use Kraft in the green can!! Get some from the deli section of your grocery or grate it fresh)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
2 T chopped fresh basil, plus 2-3 sprigs - for garnish,
1. Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned.
2. Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Mix in parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer to shallow bowl and garnish with remaining chopped basil and sprigs.
...may there be mercy in the breaking of bread at your table...