This is a recipe I found and doctored a bit until it was what we wanted. Whatever you do, do NOT drench the meat in bbq sauce! Just drizzle it to enhance the flavor... this meat turns out too yummy!
Barbecued Shredded Beef
3 pounds beef roast
2 onions, chopped
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles beer - (we used killian's red)
6 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
salt to taste
1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
Good onion buns
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees (135 degrees C).
2. Place roast in a large roasting pan and scatter chopped onions over.
3. In a large bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour in beer, stir and add to roasting pan.
4. Cover and cook in oven at 275 degrees F (135 degrees C) for 4 to 5 hours.
5. When meat is cooked, shred meat with 2 forks.
6. toast the onion buns and put a generous helping of meat on 'em.
7. drizzle with bbq sauce
(note: I have done this one in the crock pot and it comes out well)
...may there be mercy in the breaking of bread at your table...