Friday, May 25, 2007

vacation eve

Yep... as of 5 p.m. today, we are officially on vacation! Yay! It's another in our series of "Days of Wine and Railways" vacations. Love it!

My sweet husband and I are heading out early tomorrow. We will have lunch with friends in Portland, and eventually get as far as Medford, Oregon, spend the night, get up early again and get to Sacramento, California by noon on Sunday. There is a railway museum in Sacramento that he has wanted to visit since before I met him... and we've been married almost 20 years.

I'm too tired to fuss with making the all kinds of pretty and perfect "links", so I'm going to give the actual URL's.

Museum link is: http://www.csrmf.org/

Sacramento is also having a jazz festival over the long weekend. Little jazz bands playing all over the city. Cool!

Jazz Festival link is: www.sacjazz.com

On Tuesday, we will head to the Napa Valley and enjoy wineries. There are lists and list and lists of wineries... it's kind of amazing and overwhelming. But... we are going to concentrate our tours in the Heraldsburg area. If you know me at all, ya gotta know I enjoy a good glass of wine! This part of the trip will be lots of fun for me because one of my favorite hobbies is simply trying different wines.

After spending a couple days in wine country, we will head up to see the giant redwoods. On the way, we will ride the Skunk Train. Yep, it's a real train.

Skunk Train link is: http://www.skunktrain.com/

Eventually, we will wind our way home sometime next weekend. We have a long drive ahead of us tomorrow, and sleep is just not coming. Hoping that I can relax enough to fall asleep soon... it's hard to do when I'm this excited!

...may there be mercy, safe travel, joy in one another and refreshment in our time away.

2 comments:

Pastor Paul said...

Shari and I have been to the train museum in Sacramento. It's amazing, all right. We were there with Nanette Hieb for a YS Conference, and got to spend a couple of hours at the museum. Plan a minimum of 4 hours, probably a full day, as much as you two like trains. Someday I'd like to take my dad and Shari's dad.

auntie-c said...

We'll be spending all of tomorrow at the museum... well, my sweetie will!

When I get bored with trains... I'm going to wander around Old Sacramento or just walk the river with my camera.

Lots to do here!